Monday, January 16, 2012

Sweet, sweet three-day weekend



I never appreciated weekends as much as I do now that I'm a working mom.

This weekend, my husband, my son and I got to spend some quality time together. We took Will to the Florida Aquarium for the first time. Jimmy and I get in free because we're teachers, which is a plus since Will's attention span is... well, that of an almost nine-month-old. He was enamored of the penguin, enjoyed crawling up to the glass at each of the fish exhibits, and he and Daddy loved watching the sharks!

When we got home from the aquarium, we let Will play with his bath toys in some colored water and then we gave him shaving cream for the first time. The first thing he did was squish it between the fingers on both hands and then grab his feet!

Because we got Martin Luther King Day off, we had even more time to spend with Will. A Monday I don't have to get up at 5:30 AND I get to be with my son? Bonus! After we snuggled long into the morning, I took Will to see Gamma and to the park while handy Daddy made a sensory board. He used great ideas we saw on the Play at Home Mom blog. So thankful for people like the mothers on this site who share such meaningful ideas for helping kids learn through play.

Will loved the jingling bells, the push lights, and the bead maze. He also decided to take a mouthful of the plastic tubing! Lots of good stuff going on... back to work tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. You guys are awesome parents! You teach HS right? You are totally doing things I can see an early childhood educator doing! Will is very lucky! :)

    -Rebecca
    www.sister-dipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! Yes, we both teach high school. I've been trying really hard to read other mommy blogs to see what things work at what ages. I'm so used to working out of books and powerpoints but I really want my son to PLAY!! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete